Safer Handling specialise in the delivery of the ONLY nationally recognised, medically tested and legally compliant positive handling training for those working with children, young people or vulnerable adults. All our courses are bespoke and specific to your needs and service users.
Course Content & Accreditation
Our accredited Positive Handling and Restraint award not only teaches staff a range of appropriate and effective physical skills, but in addition, provides them with a concise Legal Briefing on their rights and responsibilities regarding the use of force. The focus of our training is always on de-escalating situations; however, it is important for staff to know how to safely and effectively intervene physically where necessary, in order to prevent a greater harm from occurring.
Session 1 – The Legal Brief which is bespoke and open at no extra cost to ALL MEMBERS OF STAFF AT YOUR ESTABLISHMENT includes sections on;
• Human Rights and how they apply
• Searching of pupils
• Strategies for managing very small children
• The laws surrounding Reasonable force
• Seclusion & the use of “Time out” rooms
• Policy implementation.
Session 2 – Physical Skills This essential follow up to the first theoretical session equips participants with the necessary physical skills to intervene where it is deemed necessary to prevent harm. This session consists of a set of easy to recall, properly medically risk assessed, bespoke physical skills, enabling staff to consider the holding, handling and escorting of their individual specific needs relevant to their workplace and service users. We take into consideration the size of your service users and the associated risks, your environment, and any transport considerations, seated holds, breakaways and situations where staff may be left alone with a young person or vulnerable adult.
The practical course includes:
• Holding strategies – including for larger or smaller children
• Escorting techniques to allow the safe removal of pupils from classrooms for example
• Breakaway & disengagement techniques including strategies for reducing the associated risks of biting and hair pulling. Participants must have completed the Legal briefing before undertaking this second session.
Course Delivery & Costs
Our training can be held as a one full day INSET, over two twilight sessions or as a combined option as follows; Option 1 – Held in one full day
• A whole day (e.g. 09:00hrs to 15:00hrs) with unlimited staff present in Session 1 (Legal Briefing) for the first 1 to 1 ½ hours and up to 12 staff in Session 2 (Physical skills) costs £699 + expenses (additional participants in Session 2 are charged at £42.50 per person)
Option 2 – ‘Combined’ on same day
• The physical skills session held 12:30pm to 3:00pm (flexible) followed by a twilight legal briefing/theory session for 90 minutes. Costs as per Option 1.
Option 2- Held over two twilights/half days
• Session 1 (Date 1) – 90 minute Legal briefing session for an UNLIMITED NUMBER OF STAFF and we encourage as many staff as possible attend this session as all staff have the right to use force £399 + expenses.
• Session 2 (Date 2) – 2 ½ hours Physical session will cover the Physical modules of the qualification. You can have as many staff as you wish in this session. The price is £399 + expenses for the first 12 staff with any additional participants over the initial 12 charged at £42.50 per person.
To confirm, you can have as many staff as you wish in both sessions. If you wish to have 30+ delegates in the physical session please ask for a bespoke price.
Expenses: Mileage is charged at £0.45 per mile from our nearest office to yourselves & a budget hotel is included if required.